Sunday, August 28, 2011

When in Rome.

Well, as most of you don't know, I am moving to a little place called Rome, Georgia.  It is an exciting process and I actually had no idea I was moving until about a month ago... Here is the story, about a month ago I had the chance to visit my good friend Ryan Simmons who lives in Rome.  I was sitting and talking with him and his wife, when Ryan just asked the question if I wanted to move down there and make movies with him.  This should have been a total surprise to me, yet it wasn't... the beauty of life is the fact that even if you aren't surprised with a question you are surprised by your reaction... Any way I said I would think about it but lets be real... I had already made my mind up right there on the spot... So I went home for a week before starting Summit in WI for 2 glorious weeks.

So... after Summit ended, my mind and heart had by that time been fully committed to moving...  I leave this coming Wednesday...

Now, it is important to look at this situation and see God's hand move in a real way.  I have been asked a lot, "Why Rome, Georgia?!"  My answer is usually a laugh followed by, "Why not?".  All too often in life we are faced with possibilities and we never take them, we let the "buts" in life make the decisions for us instead of the "King" in life.  Why is that?  If we believe that God spoke the world into existence why not believe that He will take care of us?  Or do we not really believe what we say...  I am tired of mouthy Christians who claim a God of power but live a life of fear.  C.S. Lewis talks about how God is the author of the play, He has written the beginning and the end but He allows the actor to do improvisation.  Those moments that the director lets us shine because He wants us to are the moments that in all honesty will scare us the most.  It is a matter of getting over the stage fright that we all experience, do we shake off those butterflies and perform for an audience of one?  or do we simply stand there and tremble?  Of course, there will be times were you are stuck in the intermission, but we can do one of two things, either sit there and be nervous or read our script and be ready for the next act.  How in all our pride and stubbornness can we stand before the cross and say, "God show me my path?".  Sometimes the best thing we can do for Christ's kingdom is to actually do something!  So why the hell aren't you?   Are you simply letting the little things stand before the biggest One?

I am leaving everyone I know and love because I am following the one who loves me... God is waiting for us to move, He desires us to grab a hold onto His hand... Whether this be in a relationship or a life change, God allows us to do improv... And when the play is finished and the curtains are down that is the moment we all meet again and congratulate each other on a fine performance and the King of glory will rush backstage to rain praises upon His star actor.

Are we waiting for God or ourselves?

So why not allow the God who chose death so that we would not be forsaken to reign completely over our lives?  Take a leap, for God is right behind you all the way.  As a child can sleep in the back of a car because they know that their dad knows the way so we can rest knowing God knows the way.

-Todd LaBerge

2 comments:

  1. you wont be to far away from some of you're family..My folks are very close by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my original hometown! I still know several people who live in the area, so if you need anything when you get there, I'd be happy to give some contacts.

    You said, "All too often in life we are faced with possibilities and we never take them, we let the 'buts' in life make the decisions for us instead of the 'King' in life." That is so true. I've definitely been guilty of the "but" thinking and falling into the fears and "what ifs" instead of keeping a steady gaze on my King. Thank God for grace, though...and the strength that only He can provide. What an exciting opportunity God is providing for you, Todd! And what courage and passion you are exemplifying by following His call and taking this big step. It has been a joy to see/watch the work you've already done through photography and videos (and this blog), and it will be wonderful to find out what God will do in and through you and your craft in the future. God bless you in your journey, friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete